Celebrity Shag No 1: Freddie Mercury (not)

I use the term loosely - very, very loosely, borrowing it from a lover manqué, Tanya Mitchell, years ago. She described an evening spent with Vic Reeves (aka Jim Moir), getting very pissed and looking forward to a Celebrity Shag, as she called it. (It didn't happen, or so she said, with a certain disappointment.)

I used to work in the Kensington Market in the very early 1970s, in the only print and poster stall, run by Big O Posters. It was on the ground floor, near where the stairs came down. Every now and then - well, with a calculated frequency, I suspect - there would be a clattering down the stairs, calling attention to itself, of course, and there would be a bloke dressed in a variety of body-hugging catsuits with the most dizzying pair of stacked heels on the end of his legs. Freddie Mercury. I was a pretty 17 year old and he never attempted to lay a hand - or anything else - on me. To this day, I consider I had a lucky escape.

But then, Freddie was so full of himself and his buck teeth, that I don't think he would have noticed anything else at all.


That's me and the lovely Chrissie Flynn and Jimmy Patatsou in 1971.


And another, with Ghost Boy in the foreground.

No comments: